This is a progress report for my Biphasic Sleep 30 day experiment
First 3 Hour Nap: 2:45 AM – 6 AM Second 3 Hour Nap: Skipped – I wasn’t able to fall asleep at 5:30 PM. After laying in bed awake for a 20 minutes, I gave up and decided to skip it. I think the lack of sleep is because my body is still getting used to my new nap times.
Biphasic Sleep Variables
- Mental Alertness. I was very alert after waking up at 6 AM. I actually felt very refreshed as if I’ve had a full night sleep. This might be due to the fact that I relaxed and hung out with a friend of mine the night before instead of going out. However I noticed my mental alertness decreasing at night around 10 PM especially since I wasn’t able to take my regular afternoon nap.
- Physical Energy. Felt very energized from 6 AM to 4 PM. Around 4:30 PM I started feeling tired and was ready for my afternoon nap. I went to bed at 5:30 PM but couldn’t fall asleep. So I got up and decided to skip the nap. As a result around 10 PM I started feeling a lot of fatigue and a bit of muscle ache. I was planning on going out that night with a friend, which was what I needed to stay awake. Overall it wasn’t too bad. I was a bit tired but was able to push through it.
- Emotional State. Nothing special to report, felt fine throughout the day.
- Productivity. Was able to get a lot done. This is also due to the fact that I skipped my afternoon nap. It seems that I always have to be doing something, otherwise I start feeling sleepy. This biphasic sleep experiment has been keeping me very productive.
- Food & Water Consumption. I consumed a normal amount of food. Didn’t really feel a major increase in appetite. I was very thirsty throughout the day and drank a lot more water than I usually would.
- Eye Redness/Irritation. My eyes have been a bit red and irritated. Hopefully this will go away as my body gets used to my new sleeping hours.
- Social Life Impact. No major social life impact for the day.
Other Biphasic Sleep Observations
- Dry Skin. My skin was a bit dry and itchy. I had to use some skin moisturizing lotion. So I poured some out of my 3 year-old big bottle of skin moisturizer As you can tell I probably don’t moisturize my skin as often as I should be. There goes my modeling career down the toilet